Friday, September 19, 2003

The sands of South Padre Island are still moist after one month & 600+ miles away from water...

I took 3 jars of sands from my favorite beach the last night I was in Corpus Christi. Evelyn helped me harvest the jars before going for some Krispy Kreme donuts. Since their return trip in the center console of the truck, they have remained on my desk, my mom's TV stand and my dad's dresser. All three were harvested from the sandbar that isolates the beach from the road perpendicular to the waters edge. The sand is still compact and wet from the area rains earlier that day and the day previous. I did nothing to the sands but contain them.

So here I sit, one month later, staring at my jar of sand. Its still wet to the touch, and still smells faintly of the salty air that once called it home. Its my connection to a calm place that worries cannot touch, time is meaningless, and jellyfish washed up on the sands are the only thing that you have to worry about while out there.

Soon, voyeurs. Real soon.

No comments: