Tuesday, May 10, 2005

2nd place just means you're the first loser

*with updated content*

Driving to work today, I started thinking about the different kinds of music being played lately in TV commercials. I recently heard a Kohl's Dept. store commercial and realized they are using The Lovin' Spoonful's song Do you believe in magic. Then I started thinking to myself that McDonald's used to use that same song in the early 90's as their hook for the company. So then I started to think about all the artists in the world who are one-hit wonders. Some surprising people in music history are one-hit wonders.
  • Siouxie and the Banshees Kiss Them For Me
  • Don Johnson's Heartbeat
  • Eddie Murphy's Party all the time
  • Barbara Mandrell I Don't Want to Be Right (that was a shock)
  • Vicki Lawrence's The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia (forgot about that, didn't you?)
  • Napolean XIV They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Ha (thanks to XM Radio & my mom for the background story on that one...)
The one artist that I single out in this would be The Buggles & their song Video Killed the Radio Star. Video Killed the Radio Star was one of the most ironic choices for an upstart music video channel (MTV) to play as their first music video. The Buggles stand out from all the other one-hit wonders as being one of the most historical bands to ever come out of that broad label as being a part of television history. How many bands can proudly proclaim that they were the first to be played on what is now the most influential television networks in the world? For a one hit-wonder, that's a pretty good accomplishment.

*I had placed Jimi Hendrix on the list originally, but was told by my good friend Torn Shorts that Hendrix had a few other hits other than All Along the Watchtower. It was my understanding that Watchtower was his only charting hit, which qualified him as a one-hit wonder. He did have Purple Haze and Foxey Lady as hits AFTER he died due to heavy airplay. So technically, he is pulled back out of the one-hit wonder category. However, after researching some things, I did find that the website provided to me by Torn Shorts has given some truth to Hendrix' Watchtower. Looks like pop culture and TV have yet another hand in his revival. I do want to thank Torn Shorts for also correcting me about the Lovin' Spoonful.

Getting back to what I was thinking about, I started to wonder who the SECOND artist to have a music video played on MTV was. Pat Benatar's You Better Run was the second video ever played on MTV back in 1981. Truly, music video history's first place loser.

No comments: