Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Do you trust your co-workers?

I work in radio. I trust some of them, not all of them. Mainly we trust each other because we work so closely with each other, so issues about leaving wallets, cell phones and such are almost an every day occurrence that we (in radio) don't think there's going to be anything malicious that will happen to our property.

Like I said, I do trust some of my co-workers. I remember my friend at the Sunny FM station has asked me if she could borrow my building entrance card, and I mistakenly heard her ask to borrow my car. I handed her the keys to my car (which was my old Cavalier) and my other co-worker looked at me with total shock that I would loan her my car. Its all a matter of trust.

I soon stopped trusting my own co-workers when I started a change cup in my personal box. It was loose change I had in my pocket left over at the end of the day that I would save in case one day I didn't have spare change for the vending machines. There was one point where I pooled the spare change from my friend Eddie as well. We had something close to $5 in change in this cheap, Styrofoam cup that was well labeled.

Well, as time went on, we noticed all the quarters were gone. In time, all the dimes. Soon, we were left with only pennies. Someone would come, steal our change, never put it back and left. Moving to a new building, I thought I would try the same thing only with Tylenol. I bought it myself and kept it in my personal box. Soon, my full bottle became empty, and the time I needed my own supply, it was gone. I had wandered the building asking people if they had Tylenol or something to take away the headache, and one person from one of the radio stations I DON'T trust told me that there was some Tylenol in someone's box in the DJ prep room. I looked and it was mine.

Later that week, I took pebbles from the parking lot and placed them in the bottle with a note taped to it in tiny lettering, bitching them out for taking all of my aspirin and never once thanking me, or repaying me. I used several cuss words and held nothing back. I noticed the bottle was missing from my box after one weekend.

I now have a stash of aspirin under lock and key. I also have a stash of pens and post-it pads, the remote control for our television, and several blank, but valued cassette tapes in this locked drawer to which there are only two keys. I carry one key on my key chain, the other is hidden in the room. I don't trust my co-workers. Do you trust yours?

1 comment:

JoJo said...

Don't give them anything they can use. As the old saying gose, "Give them an inch and they's take a foot." Or somthing like that.