Tuesday, February 22, 2005

-No Title Given-

I couldn't think of one. I tried. I sat here at the computer for about a good half hour trying to just think of a title for this entry. I know, IM usually full of wit and biting sarcasm, but not in this entry. You see, ever since my vacation to Corpus Christi and San Antonio, I have seen certain areas of human life in a different light. Peoples mortality and their strong wills put to the ultimate tests, and the frailty of the lives taking care of them.

I know I don't have expressed authorization to tell who said it, and its safe to say that I know at least 5 people in the medical field, so whomever it was who told it to me won't matter. I had always heard the stories about patients who were in the hospital, fighting against all odds, with no hope left in the world to them, and all they have going for them is their universal fear of death that keeps them alive. I was told that many nurses are often times the only contact to another human being that patient has in the world, and at deaths door, that's one lonely place to be.

I was told, that in many cases, the patients only hold onto life because they are afraid to die. I was also told by this person that the nurses set in charge often times walk into the patients room, and whether they are asleep and don't know it, or so deep in a coma that they can't respond, and tell them its ok to let go of their fears and just let them expire in peace. Often times, hours upon the words being spoken to the terminal patient, they pass on. Their fears alleviated by a soft, yet comforting voice reassuring them what possibly lies beyond will only be better.

I was told that this person had been that soft spoken and comforting voice a number of times and I was just utterly speechless. Even writing this I am just so emotional thinking about the ways we as people comfort, and give care and guidance right to the end.

It's just been eating me up inside, I've been wanting to tell this story for a few weeks now. I just wanted to share.

No comments: