Thursday, January 27, 2005

Phone in the rinse cycle

For some unknown reason, I was remembering the novel written by Meryl Streep's character in the movie She Devil when the events happened yesterday. Maybe it was the interrupted rinse cycle, maybe it was the devilish cackling I was imagining people doing, who knows.

I returned from Corpus Christi/ San Antonio with a load of laundry, and I don't think my parents wanted to hear the machine going all night so I saved it for yesterday after I got off work. I knew the moment I did the deed I would regret it, but I still did it. What did I do?

I left my cell phone in the pocket of my sweater as I did a load of laundry.

Yup. I was oblivious. I had placed a large load of colored clothes in with the sweater and set the machine. I sat down in the living room in front of the TV, started the laptop and started to cruise the web. It wasn't until I was trying to remember some voicemails I had that I realized I misplaced the cell phone.

I decided to search the last place I saw it, which was the center console of the Mustang. Not there. Then, it dawned on me. I figured it was already under water, and it had been in the wash for some time, so rushing in to grab it would do me no good. Sure enough, sunk at the bottom of the wash basin was my cell phone turned off, water-soaked and ruined.

Go ahead. Call me names.

Oh, by the way, if you know me and have my cell phone number, please call me. I have lost everyone's contact information. That includes: Evelyn, Teddy & Yolie, Ivette.

No comments: