Monday, January 03, 2005

Here in my car

Since being out and about the past few days, I ran into some rather sad examples of modification for the sake of looking ghetto. I didn't have my camera with me at the time, but I doubt I would have even been able to take the picture because I was either too embarrassed, or just flabbergasted on what I saw.

The first abomination of automotive anomalies was a 1997-2004 Dodge Neon. It was red in color, but the addition of several aftermarket "Euro" style bumpers and headlights made the car closely resemble a mutant Porsche more than its original moniker. Stylized with its beautifully hand-crafted plastic body molding, primer-grey hue (bumpers only) and original style all steel black powder coated rims, this car was ready for some fast & furious action, all with its flimsy & rather shodily pieced together rear wing that wouldn't know function if it looked it up in a dictionary. The proud owner of the car was sitting nice and low, just loving the feeling of an almost completed ride.

The second atrocity to grace the roads sadly was a 1999-2004 Ford Mustang V6 convertible. IM happy to report it wasn't mine, but I was ashamed at what I saw. Both front and rear bumpers were massacred "Euro" style bumpers that were based on Mitsubishi Lancer Evo. III (if you know what that is, you're a car nut) that didn't match up to the natural fender lines forward of the wheel wells, but sitting just under the headlight/turn signal assembly. The rear bumper faired no better, its cheesy chicken-wire grating and dual exhaust ports where no exhaust pipes exited marred the rear view of the car, not taking away from the attractive oversized and rather novel looking "adjustable" race-style aluminum wing. The driver just looked at me in my Mustang and hit the gas. Probably weighed down with all the baubles it was adorned with, I quickly passed it doing 70.

I just sit and wonder to myself, these people who modify their cars to look like higher priced European cars, what are they thinking? Do they not see that their car is an eyesore to people who actually appreciate the fine lines that automakers initially design them with? Are they that tasteless that they think some $50 plastic adhesive wing will bring them some sort of increased aerodynamic abilities and make them think they are running some suped-up high performance movie car that can do anything at the drop of the hammer?

No comments: