Thursday, November 04, 2004

STRANGE FINDINGS FROM THE INTERNET LIII

I only have one link for this weeks Strange Findings. It's actually a lost classic. You see, long before (long in relative internet-life terms) I started up Blank Media last year I had dreamed about having a website I could show everyone where to go to find information about me. A website I could post my pictures online and let people take a glimpse of my life, no matter where they are in the world.

In The High Beams was my first attempt at an online website. It was slow to update, hard to load pictures and completely impractical for an everyday update-able method of keeping people informed and entertained. I really liked the fact it was free and it had numerous page templates I could browse thru and update to my needs. I even used a variation of it for several of my picture pages featured on my links menu to the right.

The time came though that I grew out of that website. Friends were still in town, people were still getting their information from me directly so there was little to no need for a website. I gradually forgot all about the website until about two weeks ago. I was at work performing some Google searches for Strange Findings when I started looking for aftermarket headlights for the Mustang. I typed in 'high beams' into the search field and I started to wonder where I had seen that before.

It drove me crazy until I remembered I had the website floating somewhere in cyberspace. Sad as this sounds, I actually forgot what my own website was called. So I started to Google my old site trying to get it to register with Google. I came up with nothing in the search. Then, it hit me. I used the same webserver company for my links photos, and when I put the two names together, I came across my old site and it took me back down on a trip down memory lane.

It's not the usual find I have been known for in the past, but for once this one means more to me than any crab getting sucked into a pipe, any Tourettes suffering Mattel doll or Humane Restraint company out there on the market.

No comments: