Thursday, August 26, 2004

Did I choose to forget?

I don't think I did. Last night, I had a call from Yolie and Evelyn and we caught up on each others lives and as always laughed our asses off. The one thing I am surprised I chose to forget about one of the last nights Yolie and her husband Teddy were in town. It was late and we wanted food. Not many options were open, so we went to Pizza Hut for some food. We sat, we talked, we did naughty things to the condiments at the table.

There was just one thing that I guess I chose to block out of my memory. After sitting and talking about Yolie's habits and quirks, conversation went to the time she embarrassed me at Applebees. Her husband was laughing his ass off, and you could see in his eyes "What have I married" rolling over and over. Then, for reasons unknown, a silence came over us. We all went back to eating our food when I knew I was starting to get full. So I forced a burp out.

Loud.

From Yolie's description of that night, my eyes were half closed in a glazed over orgasmic light and the burp registered clearly through the restaurant, which was undergoing renovation which made it echo just right. There was literally a hush that befell the other diners seated around us as I turned to look at Teddy sitting on the opposite side of the table, his eyes wide and in disbelief. There was that half second where everything was calm and quiet. It was like time stood still right before the sense came back to me and I realized that the burp was much louder than I anticipated.

I remember saying "Oh my God" and covering up my mouth real quick, but I soon lost it when Yolie started laughing. My laughter was contagious, soon Teddy & Lupe were in hysterics. Through my laughter, all I could hear is Teddy saying "dude" and Yolie saying "that was loud" and "that's so unlike you" in the middle of their laughter. Afterwards, as we got into the car, Teddy had asked if that's how it was like when Yolie did it to us in the parking lot. I said yes, but only louder and deeper.

He said wow, got into the drivers seat and as he turned over the engine, I told Teddy he was a lucky man to have Yolie in his life, and how he has many of those moments to look forward to.

No comments: