Tuesday, August 03, 2004

I watch too much TV

I do. When I notice things that strike me as strange, and no one else picks up on them, I know I watch too much TV. Take this morning for example, I was watching one of those active lifestyle commercials of people who suffer from the ailments of everyday life, get up and show themselves to be active and alive.

You know, more power to them. I am just reminded of what my dad says all the time when he sees commercials like that. All these commercials are using music and objects to rekindle memories of youth and vigor. Depends (diaper underpants for adults) shows two women taking a road trip in a classic 60's Mustang convertible. Enbrel (an arthritic medication commercial) shows a couple running down to the beach after parking their 1970's GREMLIN.

All these products target the older generation who's health is starting to sulk downwards. I remember watching a sleeping aid commercial of Cass Elliot's Dream a Little Dream of Me playing in the background. I guess all this watch of TV is making me think of when I get to be in my late 40s. Will Sominex (sleeping aid) use Metallica's Enter Sandman? Maybe use Cult's She Sells Sanctuary to sell RVs or motorhomes.

I fear the future, people. Its going to be filled with a return of sell-out artists lending their songs to products, vacuuming robots and robots mangling man meat.

No comments: