Friday, January 13, 2006

Days of Future Past

So here I sit at the radio station, waiting for my time to go to the alarm company. I sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if I kept with what I originally wanted to do with my life. You see, its true that radio had always been my dream job. The other career I thought about getting into but was persuaded against it by everyone I spoke to about it was as a paramedic.

I actually went so far as to research everything I needed to do to become a paramedic. This was my sophomore year of high school, mind you. At this same time I had started to get into video and audio editing software. I also made public my want to become a paramedic to friends and some family. I was met with a not-so-welcome response. I was warned about long arduous hours, harsh working conditions, contract negotiations, difficult patients, working holidays.

I was then told that I wouldn't make much money in the field, so I stopped trying. Eventually, I got a job (unpaid, and that should have been a warning) at a radio station and I have been employed in this field and related areas since. So here I sit and reflect on what my life would have been like had I kept up what I really wanted to do and had been the paramedic I wanted to be.

No comments: