Monday, December 05, 2005

THE LIGHT, IT BURNS

So I pick up Mike D from Power 102 this morning and happen to notice that the front porch light at his house was abnormally bright. En route to work today, we talked about it. It seems he had installed some of those low consumption but brighter-than-a-nuclear reaction energy saver lightbulbs all around the house, that also included around his front door and the yard lighting in his back yard. Turning them on brought out his neighbors from all around.

Laughing, I told Mike about my venture in electrical lighting. A few weeks ago, I had changed the lighting fixtures in both the kitchen and the dining room at the house, and with the new fixtures, we bought new bulbs, the same low watt energy savers as the rest of the house. The fixture's warning label warned not to place any bulb higher than 60 watts. Well, if anyone has ever bought the damn things, the low watt 60's are about the same output as 160 watt flood lights. Couple this with the 5 bulb design and you got one powerful searchlight hanging from the ceiling!

Yeah, I had made that mistake when I got home at 11pm that night. I never saw what it looked like with all of the bulbs on, so I innocently turned the fucking thing on and toasted my retinas. Once my eyes adjusted to the blinding white light and dead relatives stopped beckoning, I saw the living room was flooded with light and it just kept creeping down the hallway! I swear if you looked outside it would have looked as if I had opened an otherworldly portal into another dimension. The light was that fucking bright.

Since that blinding moment, the bulbs have been replaced with 30 watts. Don't be fooled though, the light is still fucking bright but at least you don't need sunglasses at night.

No comments: