Friday, June 10, 2005

Murder on Music Row

No, it wasn't me this time. I am referring to a great country music song sung by George Strait & Alan Jackson. The song chronicles the death of traditional country music to songs that seem to be rejects of pop & AC music stations. It's one of those songs that drifted under the radar back in 2000 when George Strait released his greatest hits album, but damn well worth listening to. I couldn't find a decent link to give to have you listen to it, so if you are out and about at a music superstore, make sure you listen to this song.

I think, however, I can pinpoint the exact moment that country music started to slip away from its roots and into the dark side.


*the culprit

Shania Twain was one of the first women in the industry to rebel against traditional country music and (with the help of her rock & roll producer husband Mutt Lange) started the decline in country music that we hear today.

I grew up listening to country music. I don't tell many people that because as of late, early country music was thought of as something for the older generation to listen to. I grew up on Johnny Cash, Barbara Mandrell, Dolly Parton & Charley Pride. Ronnie Milsap cassette tapes were more times than often strewn around a car at one point or another and one of my first LP's I bought was an Alan Jackson album.

Thanks to Imus in the Morning, we have a whole new realm of country music debauchery to deal with. Cowboy Troy is the newest and latest entry in a growing crowd of country music wanna-be's making their crappy voice known to the public. He is a bonafide country artist, sad to say. One listen to his "Hic-Hop" music will make you listen to Murder on Music Row and shed a tear.

No comments: