Monday, June 13, 2005

Even after the glitter fades

*NUDITY WARNING*

I think I am trying to recover brain cells from this weekends little camping excursion, because I started to wander online (unlike the Strange Findings updates) and found some rather interesting and disturbing facts about everyone's favorite actor or musician.

Star Wars has been in the media more times than I care to listen. Have we forgotten some of our old favorites while being awed by the stellar outrageously over-the-top visual effects that seem to have eclipsed the original movies? I kinda think that's what Billy Dee Williams is feeling like has happened to the movies, his career & life. Maybe his second job makes him happy. He's a painter. He calls his paintings 'Abstract Reality', all I see is his attempt to cash in on a role he once played. I had browsed his online galleries to see if I couldn't find some Star Wars-inspired Blacksploitation collage, but didn't. You kinda expect something like that looking at his art.

I just can't fathom Mr. Blonde sitting down in a coffee shop, surrounded by beatniks and rapping about society in general without blowing some freakin' heads off of someone. Alas, Michael Madsen, we now know the scope of your talents. While reading an excerpt from his latest book of scribe to jive by, I realized that (just like B.D. Williams described above) he is taking his life of film into his form of art and just - I don't know how to explain it, its either recapping his career or its gloating over his films, and it detracts from his ultimate conclusion.

Oh, where to begin. Chubby Checker, the early 60's answer to a question that was asked way too many times about a stupid dance that could carry one's career farther than the Macarena and easier to dance. The one dance the stupidest of shit-heads couldn't fuck up, Chubby Checker was able to get rhythm-less white guys & gals to look like they were over-snuffing a cigarette while thinking they looked "cool" or "hip". His merciless recycling of a song that should have been a one-hit wonder spawned Slow Twisting, Twist it Up, Let's Twist Again (Like We Did Last Summer), Twistin' USA, Twist the Doorknob, Twist my Nipples like You're Tuning in Paul Harvey - You get the idea. He's got fucking food named after that Goddamned song! Worse yet, he has a fucking semi truck called The Cherckerlicious Express! Good -fucking-God!
"Chubby and food have always been very close, from his
early roots in the South Philadelphia chicken markets to the present as a self-proclaimed "barbecue guru". Chubby has finally decided to join his many admirers in selling a little part of himself."
What part is he selling? Is it in the beef jerky? I seriously hope not!

Et, tu Spock? I have to admit one thing, Leonard Nimoy is an excellent photographer. His eye for his subject is admirable (even though he was a Captain - Star Trek humor...) but remind me too much of Star Trek IV. There's just something majestic about photographing whales.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And here I though that we were going to see YOU naked.
What a shame.