Monday, May 24, 2004

A picture is worth a thousand words. But to an illiterate, it means nothing.
-Unknown

That's a phillosophy I have carried with me for many years. I keep telling myself that so I can keep track of my career and progress. I bought a digital camera before heading out to Corpus Christi in March, and finding artist websites aren't helping to quell the idea to take pictures reminicent of what alot of people would call (including myself) Modern Ruins.

Sure, I featured a link to that website, but theres something haunting about seeing something untouched for decades. People would think I am crazy if I said I walk auto junkyards some days, just to look at all the cars piled up on sand & discarded rims. Imagining that each and every one of the cars in that junkyard were someone's pride and joy. Imagining that at some point in that car's existence, it was brand new, eyed by their potential owners, washed in their driveways, driving down the road playing their driver's favorite songs. Then looking at them in the condition I usually see them I wonder who the car was passed to, neglected by, stolen by.

I see the history in things not many people think of. There was one day I picked up an emblem from the ground at one of the yards. A Buick's hood emblem. Unbroken, still shiny, I picked it up and took it home. I cleaned it up, polished it up and hung it on my bulletin board. It wasnt the same as seeing it proudly displayed on the hood of whichever Buick it came from, but it was there showing itself off, proudly advertising the car it no longer was attatched to but maintaining its dignity about it.

Well, I want to take pictures of these sorts of things. Look how much I wrote about a stupid, inane hood emblem. Imagine what a full picture would bring?

Ah, now you see where I am going, huh?

No comments: