Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Is my new car harmful to my health?

Deathmobile

Sounds funny, doesn't it? Well it did to me until I heard about some of the things that are potentially dangerous for my health for a few months of new car ownership. The culprit? New car scent.

According to a recent study, that pleasurable smell has been linked to harmful chemicals--volatile organic compound or VOC--which releases chemicals from glues, paints, and vinyl. The smell inside the cabin of the car can trigger headaches, sore throats, and drowsiness. Japanese manufacturers have been the first to respond by reducing the chemical levels within government guidelines.

The interesting thing is the EPA doesn't think its much of an issue, there has been no reported cases of poisoning or crap like that, but it makes you think - does that include the new car scent air fresheners at car washes?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When i was reading your post, all I could think about is Britney Spears song ".... you're toxic im slipping under....."