Sunday, February 11, 2007

Observations from the middle of the night

I was told by a close friend "why do you put it upon yourself to try and fix things for others?" to which I replied it was my nature to do so.

I rely on my friend to be a blunt-question asking person because I am the same to him.

I don't like turmoil within my friends. My natural nurturing persona tells me I need to do what I can to return my friend's mental or physical being to what it used to be. I do that often times damning the consequences.

I do it because I would like to believe these "friends" I help would do the same for me.

I have 4 people I would drop everything for and help with whatever they asked me to.

Why?

These 4 people (in the past, and proved it) would drop whatever they were doing to help me.

I had (tonight) drove home a friend from a pretty traumatic night. He asked my advice on a touchy subject, in which he asked what I would do for a friend who contemplated suicide. I told him to assist the friend in getting them the help they needed, if not for their sake, but for your own peace of mind.

I told him "If the situation was reversed, would he do the same for you?" to which he replied "I don't know if he would".

I told him "then that's the difference between the two of you, your level of compassion for wanting to help and asking others to assist. He might not do the same for you, but you can do it for him and hope he comes around one day".

I pick and choose my friends carefully. I enjoy every minute of their company and yes, I will go out of my way for them.

I know they would do the same for me.

No comments: