Friday, January 05, 2007

Well, Happy New Year

It's a new year, and what a way to ring in the changes with some massive changes at work. Clearchannel Radio was purchased sometime back by someone who I stopped caring for long before and because of the blah blah blah, new managment came in and revamped how we operate. Because of this bold and controversial budget scrimping move, a lot of good, honest working full timer's got their salaries cut down and placed on part-time status.

Myself included.

Which really sucks when you stop and think about it.

This year (1997) marks my 10th year at the same company. Being the smug, vain bastard I usually am, I love to remind people I know that I (would have) had 4 weeks vacation, 45 days of sick time and 3 personal days to take off whenever I needed.

Well, that went out the window on January 1st of this year.

See, when I was reassigned as a part-timer, I lost everything. I lost my 4 weeks vacation, 45 days sick time, 3 personal days and all of my health benefits. Now, if a new budget gets miraculously approved, then I get all of my aforementioned time and benefits back.

I see the Titanic self-rising from the ocean floor and docking in New York before I see that happen.

So what am I doing?

Well, I don't know at this point. I was able to head to Sonitrol with enough time and get my benefits covered with enough time to start the new year. It was a seamless transition. I still have the matter of a lot of bills to take care of, and I need to start talking to some financial advisors to assist me in them before I make the ultimate self-sacrifice and hit bankruptcy. Several friends have been outstanding in helping me get some information that I don't want to share at this point about my future, so until that time comes, it will be under wraps.

For the time being, Im ok. Im in an upbeat mood thanks to Evelyn and Yolie's visit last week. Im sure that had a lot to do with my still up beat demeanor. As for the future of Blank Media, I might change the name to something different. Blank Media symbolized the empty recordable disc you could put into a machine and make something of it, and now its a reminder that indeed the media itself is pretty blank when it comes to decisions that affect employees. It's time for a change, so I am open to some suggestions for a new name.

It's time to drag myself into the control room. Another day, another $.57 cents (adjusted for cut in pay and taxes).

No comments: