Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Nostalgic

I had a somewhat long day, Monday. I had 2 hours to kill before heading to Sonitrol and I didn't feel like going all the way home, just to head all the way back. I jumped into the Neon, and headed off to Anthony NM. to a little place that my family has been going for probably 30 years.

I remember it well, every sunday was a treat for us. It was also a little bit of hell for me and everyone else in the car, especially if it was in the summer time. We used to pile into my mom's 1965 Chevy Corviar and make the nearly 30 mile trek out to Anthony. We didn't have air conditioning, that was considered a luxury. We had the basic manual crank windows and a Coleman cooler filled with either tea or Kool-Aid, chilled with tons of ice.

The Corvair was comfortable, seating wise. I loved that car. It was the sleek 2 door coupe and it drove like a dream. Ice box white, blue upholstery with black dash and chrome treatments. My brother and sister shared the back seat with me, and would always remember passing the cooler of drink to either or up front to my parents. They used to torture us by telling us not to drink too much coolant, or else we wouldn't save ourselves for some good food.

Finally, after what seemed like forever and a day we would arrive at the little restaraunt. Eager to get the hell out of that hot car, we all piled out and found comfort in the grass and open areas nearby. Within walking distance was the railroad tracks (a treat for me) and the car with food in it. I remember sitting back and chowing down on the corn dogs and delicious fountain drinks and every other visit, the train would entertain me as it passed.

Then, it was time to go. The ride home never felt as bad as the anticipation of waiting nearly an hour to get to this place. It was family drive time. We all enjoyed it.

So there I was, in the same parking spot my family would occupy. This time, I was the one driving, and all by myself. I ordered my lunch, 2 corn dogs and an order of onion rings and a soda. I sat inside the car and watched as a man and his daughter played outside on the grass and would remember doing the same some 20 years before. Sadly, you can't go back and do it all over again, which is why the memories of those days -- so benin and simple -- stay with you for a really long time.

No comments: