Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Memories


One of the best creations of the 1980's was the Fruit Rollup. It was a flat fruit candy that came in a roll and came in varied flavors. My mom never bought Fruit Rollups. She thought it was too expensive for such a small box of so few candies. I remember my friends moms would buy them and I would make an ever so timely appearance at my friends houses whenever they went to the grocery store.

Well, I had always loved the taste of the rollups. They were delicious. I would sit and ever so enjoy the taste and really savor it. It was rare I had one, and the ones offered in stores today resemble nothing of the original product that was initially released. The first few times I had one, however, was a really bad experience. You see I was just handed the Rollup in it's package. No other instructions. I opened it, unrolled it and was enthralled with the fruity smell of it. I didn't even unroll it at times, I just opened up and...

*CHOMP*

Chewy. Yeah, it was really chewy. I remember it was really hard to chew and tear apart. In the commercials they showed it really easy to tear and eat. Then I looked at the rolled up candy in hand and noticed something odd.

Plastic.

It was held together with a sheet of plastic. Thin as Saran Wrap, it was hard to see. I had eaten 2 previous to that one and realized that I had eaten it with the plastic still on!

I stopped eating them since.

No comments: