Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Unconscious Actions -or- Why did I hit the garage door opener?

It's one of those strange things that we as humans do. We have set routines we follow, usually to and from work. Things such as adjusting the mirrors, plugging in an mp3 player, opening a sunroof are all things we sometimes do unconsciously at sometime during our drive. The one thing I can't explain is the stupid action I had today when picking up my carpool buddy.

I went through the motions. I grabbed the cell phone, rang his cell phone 3 times, downshifted to 4th, then 3rd, turned the corner and accelerated to 40mph then neutral. I pulled into his driveway, he placed his items in the back seat then got in. As I put the car in reverse, I also grabbed the garage door opener and gave it a press as we got back on the road.

Stupid me, I actually stared at his garage door expecting it to either open or close.

Then, the thought came to mind: What if the garage door at the house opened up?

Then I dismissed that thought. The fucking door doesn't open when I am pulling up to the house next door to us, what makes me think that where I was, 4 miles from the house, that the damn door would open up from that distance?

I bet others who read this share the same thought that the door will open up at a distance greater than 1 mile away.

No comments: