Friday, March 17, 2006

Luck o' the Irish?

Just by coincidence this morning I woke up and wore a green t-shirt. I didn't even consider the ramifications of not wearing a green colored item of clothing today when I woke up, all I realized was I had to go to Sonitrol today and needed to look somewhat decent. I just blindly (I do that at times) grabbed the first clean shirt on a hanger in my closet and wore it. It wasn't until getting to work that one of my co-horts laid mention that between me and Mike D, I had the only green article of clothing visible.

It's an olive color, but its friggin' green. I have survived the wrath of soon-to-be-drunkards coming up to me and pinching the living shit out of me for the lack of a green swatch of color on my body. So in typical Blank Media fashion, I tried to hunt down the origins of turning areas of the body red & bruised for a lack of sensible fashion sense during this holiday. Surprisingly, we're all a bunch of immature little brats.

See, the color green is strictly a United States thing, not even adopted in Ireland. It was a childish thing to do to another classmate who didn't recognize this seemingly strange holiday where we celebrate a Catholic holiday that falls in lent that the church actually allows for today the consumption of meat. St Patrick's Day is a celebration of the Irish saint Patrick who became very successful at winning converts, died on March 17 in AD 461. One of the more popular symbols of the holiday came to America in 1737, Boston's Irish colonies held the first celebrated parade.

a whole lotta green pee
Chicago River, Chicago, IL


Some cities even dye their rivers green. The Chicago river celebrates this holiday by donning its green hue.

So, if you forgot to wear green today, dazzle them with substance other than mere childish pinching. Unless you like that sort of play. If not, I hope you have a whole lotta quarters to buy lots of sodas*.

*refers to an old elementary school rhyme "pinch, poke, you owe me a coke".

No comments: