Wednesday, September 23, 2009

iPhone MMS (Much Mischief Suspected)

I ditched Sprint like a bad date back in January of this year for the iPhone. Yes, I went to a higher rate plan, and yes AT&T is a conglomerate, and yes you are nit-picking something I really enjoy (haters) but the one thing I had to endure these 9 months had been the lack of proper MMS capabilities. I was no stranger to this, the last phone I had was a TREO "smart phone" that needed to connect to a website to view MMS photos sent by friends.

I didn't mind this. I was used to it.

Well, after a few hiccups here and there and Apple's promise to have MMS before the end of summer (a few days late, but still) on the 25th of this month all iPhone users will be able to send and receive MMS messages all they want.

Something that I have been thinking about, though. AT&T has contended that the reason they shuffled their feet in not allowing MMS messages is because the iPhone is the equivalent of an SUV. The data consumption is epic. The phone uses (when cruising the 3G network) something close to 3X the data a "dumb" phone uses.

Personally, I switch to a wifi signal for extensive data & web browsing.

But this has me wondering how well AT&T's network will hold up to the millions of iPhone owners simultaneously sending images and videos to friends in a half-hearted triumphant display of our phones new capability that was standard on the cheapest free phones for sale on the market.

Well, Im going to test it out myself. I do not have the 3GS. I do not have the ability to record video. But I have TONS of very large files saved to my photo folder. I am going to find the largest image I can and send it to EVERYONE in my phonebook. Several times.

Guess time will tell.

No comments: