Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I see what you did there -or- How many parts does it take to change a light bulb?

So, here's the poop.

About 4 weeks ago (yeah, it is a long time isn't it?) the turn signal went out on the Neon. It happened to take the tail light out at the same time. The part was easily available & after a consortium of dim-witted parts peddlers, I finally found the place this little flasher module is supposed to go.


*image taken with a TREO 700p

Yeah, it goes here.

A long, long time ago the flasher module went where everything else was- the fuse box/ panel, and that was located directly under the dashboard. Now, you have to tear apart the damn steering column just to get to it. This isn't why I write about, though. It's what they [dealerships] do to scare you into giving them your car keys and money:

Just make sure when you're taking apart the steering column you don't set off your airbag.

When I heard that, I immediately looked at the service advisor & the parts peddler and gave them that look of "you bastards, thank you for putting that hint of self-doubt into me" that would force me to GLADLY give them my keys, time and money to replace a $30 module.

After all, who wouldn't want to do it yourself when they can scare the bejezus out of you by saying you could potentially set off your airbag- causing at minimum $200 worth of repairs while replacing a seemingly harmless $30 module.

What should I do?

Well, obviously I tore the steering wheel apart. I didn't damage it, but when I got an errant phone call (set to vibe and set in the center console) I nearly pissed my pants thinking the airbag was buzzing and on the brink of ker-plosion. After a quick change to a fresh pair of Hilfigers & a renewed confidence that the airbag was in no danger, I swapped out the part, hooked the battery back up and turned the key.

It didn't solve the problem.

I was just about to pick up the business card that had the service departments phone number when my dad offered this brilliant insight: Check the light bulb.

Why the light bulb? It turns on and off with the headlights, so it can't be that.

Or could it?

I took off the bulb and found the filament had popped, but the second filament was intact. Hmm, so the lights and turn signals are on seperate circuits.

$4.80 later for a new bulb and presto!

Thankfully it wasn't something expensive. It was a simple light bulb.

Damn modern conveniences.

No comments: